Hi Evette,

I believe that multi-chain NCS is what you'd like to use: something
like heterodimer AE NCS-restrained to BF, CG, DH.
You can do that using refmac5 ver 5.3.0015 and later version

If you go to
http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~garib/refmac/data/refmac_news.html
under the NCS section there is an explanation on how to set up this
kind of restrain.

Hope it helps,

Roberto

On 22 Feb 2007, at 11:28, Radisky, Evette S. Ph.D. wrote:

> Sorry, I was unclear in my description of the problem.  I have NCS
> with 4 heterodimers in the ASU, and a good molecular replacement
> solution.  So I have 8 chains total -- A, B, C, and D are
> identical, and E, F, G, and H are identical to each other, but
> completely different from A, B, C, and D.  I want to use the "NCS
> Phased Refinement" task to generate averaged maps, improve phases
> with density modification, and to restrain refinement so that A, B,
> C, and D are restrained to match each other, and E, F, G, and H are
> restrained to match each other.  In the refmac5 task window, I can
> see how to set up NCS restraints this way, but in the "NCS phased
> refinement" task window, I don't see an equivlent way to define my
> restraints.  In this window, all I can do is make each chain an
> "NCS unit", and the task fails trying to compare A to E (which I
> don't really want it to do).
>
> Thanks,
> Evette
>
> Evette S. Radisky, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor and Associate Consultant II
> Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
> Griffin Cancer Research Building, Rm 310
> 4500 San Pablo Road
> Jacksonville, FL 32224
> (904) 953-6372 (office)
> (904) 953-2857 (lab)

---
Dr. Roberto Steiner
Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics
New Hunt's House
King's College London
Guy's Campus
London, SE1 1UL