Hi Shankar,
    I believe it is better to use CNS make_cv_twin.inp to define the
reflections related by the twin operator and then  use this cv file to
carry out refinement using the twin_lsq refinement target in CNS than to
actually try to detwin the data and then carry out refinement with the
detwinned data.
I had a similar case recently (also at 2.0A) and also found better
R/Rfree values on using the first approach.

However, I think it is also possible that one of the above approaches
may work better than the other (in terms of R/Rfree and resulting map
quality after refinement) depending on the twin fraction, kind of
twinning, etc. so it is better to try both as you have done. I think
whichever method gives better maps and R/Rfree value should be used.

However, I'm not sure why there is such a difference in R-factor values
in the 2 approaches, mainly because I don't understand the details of
twinning very well.

Regards,
Debanu.