Hi Bill,

This sounds very unusual.  We have 3rd party RAM in almost all of our
Macs, and I've never had a repair request denied by AppleCare.  This
is an allowed DIY (do it yourself) installation in most if not all
their recent machines.  It's common knowledge now that hard drives
fail all the time, new or old - just seems to be hit or miss from all
manufacturers these days and certainly not the users fault.  We had
an iMac hard drive fail within 3 months, and had no problem getting
the repair from AppleCare.

If it is AppleCare your are dealing with, call back and explain what
you received back from them.  If you don't get a satisfactory answer,
ask to talk to a supervisor, and keep going up the chain until
someone with sufficient authority can explain this message or get it
repaired properly.  I would also suggest running memtest, or their
own extended Apple Hardware Test (usually on the discs that came in
the box), to prove the memory is working fine (from bootable CD/DVD
or external drive).  With their own test verifying the RAM, how can
they prove it caused a disk failure?

In one and only one case, I had to go outside AppleCare.  The best
route turned out to be through the institute's procurement
department.  There is a single Apple higher education representative
that takes all the orders from here via procurement.  That turns out
to be a lot of orders (i.e. money), so there is more concern about
resolving problems.  I wrote a detailed e-mail and received a
positive reply that led to a full repair.  There may also be Apple
higher education account executives and engineers working with your
university.  They may be helpful as well.  Your work has undoubtedly
helped to promote Macs and probably a few sales as a result.  I would
suggest tactfully including this in your correspondence should it
come to this.

If its not AppleCare, then I hope a similar approach would also work.

Best of luck,

Jeff