Hello Everyone

Thanks for all the responses.

Many were about twinning detection.  IMO, the best tip was toward the
cctbx utilities (I think these come from the phenix developers??) for
twinning detection and detwinning.  The output from mmtbx.xtriage and
mmtbx.twin_map_utils is particularly clear. (Thanks to Peter Zwart
and Bill Scott)

In the particular case of the (not so) hypothetical dataset I was
concerned about - that dataset is not twinned, rather the struck
refinement was due to severe data anisotropy [not noticed during late
night synchrotron data reduction but detected with sfcheck  - we
hadn't yet figured that out when I posted the message.]  A run
through the anisotropy server at UCLA
http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/~sawaya/anisoscale/
has unstuck the  refinement and made the maps much more pleasing.

Sue

Sue Roberts
Biochemistry & Biopphysics
University of Arizona