>On Feb 28, 2007, at 14:37, shivesh kumar wrote:
>
>Dear all,
>I have a data set at 2.2A, of the selenomethionene labelled
>protein.How should I process the data.

Some hopefully useful remarks (fairly random and not complete and
exhaustive):

1. make sure to mask out the backstop and beamstop holder
   correctly. Although various integration software claims to do this
   fairly automatic it is always better to do a good job on this.

2. check the rejected reflections (at the scaling/merging step): is
   there some system in those rejections? The two files produced by
   SCALA (ROGUES and a xmgr file that plots the detector position of
   rejected reflections) are very helpful. It can show ice-rings, bad
   beamstop-masking (see point 1) etc.

3. heavy atom detection/phasing software will also write out some
   helpful information about outliers: if there are some suspicious
   messages (e.g. warnings in autoSHARP) they usually point back to
   problems in data processing (see point 1).

4. if you collected several datasets/wavelengths: you can give those
   to SCALA for some 'local scaling'. This will also show you those
   really helpful CC(Dano) plots. But be careful with absorption
   correction: all datasets/sweeps need to be indexed identically.

5. always remember what your first reaction was when looking at the
   images: 'great' images should give you good statistics further down
   the pipeline. But if 'awfull' images give you good statistics I
   would be suspicious ...

6. unless you really know what's going on: stick with program
   defaults. Usually the developers have a very good idea why the
   program is doing things in a specific way.

Cheers

Clemens

*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.