I must say I'm not sure if I remember it  Edmund but the minute I hear 'keel' I hear 'Keel row' as in  the old Northumbrian song - Weel May the Keel Row.  Now I've just checked out that 'Keel' ( a flat bottomed boat) which was from the Anglo Saxon 'Ceol' - which sounds very much like it could degenerate into  cool ?

Sorry can't go further unless I read the whole play but - but as you mentioning 'cool' and the AngSax is  'ceol'...

Not an answer just a coincidence to chew on.