There appears to be an issue (which I have told BB about) with JAVA SE6.0 in Firefox (and to a less serious extent) in IE7. It is summarised in this comment from an instructor and I wonder if anyone else has encountered the problem and maybe found a work around? have more information on the problem with Firefox and Java SE 6.0 on Windows XP. If you have the latest Java Runtime Edition (6.0) installed and Firefox 2 the loading of the webeq applet (for Maths entry) (that appears to be required on all add-item and add-folder pages) will fail. If this happens, Firefox itself crashes and even if killed, leaves behind a trace that has to be killed in the process tree. You get an error in IE 7 but the browser seems able to recover. I believe that the same error also occurs with Java SE version 5 and Firefox, but without the catestrophic failure. My problem is that I need to have version 6.0 of the run-time installed in order to execute the programs that I develop with the Java SDK 6 (which I have to use for my research an teaching). Only work around (which I've tested) is to back-up to Java SDK 5 and the Java SE 5 run-time, but I can't do this. The only other work around that allow me to stay with JAva SE 6 would appear to be to use IE 6/7 - which is a real pain! It's even more of a pain because I don't actually need to use the Java Math Equation Editor which seems to be causing the problem!