Thanks for everyone who has contributed about KSF issues.

I have learnt from our Trust's KSF Guru, ( yes, we have one! ), that, as well as the 6 core dimensions, I only need to pick 3 or 4 additional dimensions form the other 24 on offer.

As it happens I have picked 9 - I am probably creating a rod for my own back but they do seem to reflect what I do.

I have now created my own profile on the skills-for-health  web site, http://skillsforhealth.org.uk/  -  by going to the NHS KSF-Competence Mapping page under COMPETENCE APPLICATION TOOLS. Remember to register and log on first, otherwise it won't remember what you have done

What I have found now is that if I go to the Competence Search page - under COMPETENCE MAPPING TOOLS, (when I am registered and logged on, otherwise it won't remember what I have done), I can select from the Framework/Suit:    those sections that are applicable - Children, long term, elderly, management, Clinical Science etc.), This drastically cuts down the number of presented competencies that I have to chose from.

I then select the KSF dimension and level that I am interested in, and the search presents me with usually about 1 page full, probably 30 or so, that I can explore by clicking on the titles to see if they are relevant. Tick the check box of the ones you want and click ADD and it will add these to your profile.

In this way I find I am adding about 7 specific competencies per dimension. This is now a manageable task and I have done the six core dimensions in about an hour. I am fairly sure there is some duplication in there but these can be reviewed out when I discuss my profile with my manager.

I hope some of this helps.

Best regards,

Geoff Harbach
WMRC