Hello

Are any academic users of WGSN finding that their students are having difficulty understanding the PIN based registration and revalidation process?  It seems to be something of a problem here, with the majority of our students experiencing some degree of difficulty with it.  Some students eventually give up, having never managed to access the service at all.

Here at NTU we keep the PINs in a secure web page that all students can access at any time.  At induction they're shown how to register (those who turn up, anyway!), all students are reminded of the registration/revalidation process when I email them with details of any new PINs, and instructions how to register, plus a guide written by WGSN is available on our website.  I've also got a couple of drop-in sessions planned over the next two weeks for any students to come along to.  Despite this, they still don't seem able to log in.  At the moment I'm collating student and academic staff feedback about the service, and am forwarding it to WGSN.

Does anybody have a foolproof method of getting students to understand how the site is accessed?  I spoke to somebody at WGSN last week about this, and metioned how complicated the sign-in system is compared to some other services (e.g. Athens), but it appears there are no immediate plans to change it.

Thanks.
Rachel

Rachel Campbell
Liaison Librarian - Art & Design
Libraries & Learning Resources
Nottingham Trent University
Boots Library
Goldsmith Street
Nottingham
NG1 5LS
Tel: 0115 848 2144
email:

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.

Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2006 at http://www.arlis.org.uk/even/