A colleague has just come to me with an abstract where a case c
Hello,

A colleague has just come to me with an abstract where a case control study was carried out to determine the factors influsncing death due to heart failure. The data was collected over a three year period, at the end of the three years there were 50 patients who had died, these 50 patients were then matched to 50 other surviving  patients from the same period, matched on age, having the same heart disease and sex. The idea of the study was to see why the survivors hadn't died.

I feel the study could have been designed better as a survival analysis, but I am now presented with an abstract to comment on. I would like to know opinions on this - I have never come accross case-control studies comparing death to surviving with the exception of stillbirths. All the patients in the study range from 55 - 81.

Many thanks for any feedback.