Message

Dear all

Here at King’s we will be using data for student admissions, progression and achievement by gender, that is cross-tabulated by important variables such as entry qualifications.

We are analysing the National Student Survey data broken down by gender and by Department within our institution.  To see if our gender balance reflects the national picture for our subject mix and what is happening at other comparable institutions, we are looking at HEFCE headcount data by gender and subject studied.  This is using a similar methodology to the Government’s State School Benchmarks for HEIs.

In addition we ran a Roadshow to gather the views of students at 4 of our campuses.  This enabled students to vote on issues of concern to them and add any comments about areas we should improve on.  It was a challenge to engage students in this activity since many of them had either not considered gender issues before or were not able to identify any areas of concern.  We have managed to identify a few key priorities for the Scheme and are considering running some focus groups in the future to look in more detail at Curriculum issues and possibly issues for post-graduate research students and their progression to permanent roles.

On the staff side we have launched an on-line questionnaire to which over 460 staff have responded.  Here we asked respondents to identify from a list policies, any which had had an adverse impact on them and in addition whether they considered this to because of their gender.  In addition they were asked to select from the same list 3 priorities for us to focus on in our GES.  We will be hosting separate meetings for male and female staff in a couple of weeks to gather more detailed feedback on some of the priorities that have come out of the questionnaire.

I would be particularly interested in finding out more about the advice given by the Women’s Office at NUS about issues for students and how best to engage with them on gender issues.

Thanks

Debbie Epstein

Policy Development and Training Officer

Equality and Diversity Department