From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Mainwaring-Burton Richard (RGZ)
Sent: 12 February 2007 12:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Haemolysis in blood samples

We have seen the same phenomenon with many H+ samples from A&E

I blame the venflon myself as a significant source of haemolysis, although a small project to identify failed to achieve significance.  Having examined the tip of a venflon, the plastic is exceedingly flimsy, and would to my mind allow collapse of the tip under vacuum or flexion of the arm.

Transfer of blood from syringe to vacutainer via original needle is also a culprit.  This seems to be standard so-called 'training' among doctors, and it is hard to de-train them in spite of H&S and sample quality persuasions.

A properly observed study needs to be undertaken with collection of real data to include :

+/- venflon
Location of venflon on arm
Who took blood (really)
+/- syringe
+/- needle into vacutainer

I found that many people were unwilling to admit to reality of practice which negated the findings - hence observed status required rather than self-reported.
with best wishes
Richard
Richard Mainwaring-Burton
Consultant Biochemist