Thanks for the response.

The extensive work on aviation safety has shown that there is rarely
a single cause of any accident or a single solution to prevent it
happening again.

I totally agree about the need for standardisation.

The disagreement is about which are the preferred units. I have two
reasons for preferring molar units.

1 As I read the relevant standards there is no ambiguity: molar units
are preferred for this purpose.

2  "Molar thinking" is useful in understanding calculated osmolality,
calculated anion gap, acid-base chemistry etc.

Jonathan