  From: Deborah Jones
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 12:48 AM
  Subject: Re: Artists

  Hello again aacorners

  I posed both questions (below) out of a curiosity I have about the images of the artist which can appear in interdisciplinary encounters.  Not so much to invite answers, but to find out if management people working with art and artists care to ask them.

  In some of the aacorn discussions I see representations of the artist as a phenomena that's minutely examined, then simultaneously raised up on a pedestal ('I want to be one') and appropriated as an instrument for other peoples' needs.

  There are vast quantities of text explaining motivations and justifying the collaboration from an organisational position, and yet there's very little exploration of why the artist may choose to enter this other world.  That just seems weird.

  Perhaps my assumption about a collaborative intent is the flaw?

  There'll be as many differing motivations as there are artists.  I'm not convinced it's covered by hoping to influence the organisations or seeking the resources/opportunity to make new work and engage with a new audience - though these will definitely feature.  I would say there are other intentions and ideas behind the move - Jurgen's gradual, complicated and ambivalent journey is an example.  I'm wondering if it would be dynamic and fruitful to consider how the artist's desires and interests interact with those of the organisation they enter into a relationship with.  Probably in terms of specific instances - I can't currently imagine doing this in a general or abstract way.

  My question about goodness came out of the pedestal scenario.  I get sceptical and confused when an image of 'the artist' seems unduly revered. (there's a perfectly acceptable mix of good and bad person in me)

  With best wishes,
  Deborah

  (ta, Steve. Ditto!)

  Apart from the financial incentives, why do you think artists choose to work with business, organisations and 'leadership'?

  ...and if someone's an artist, is she a good person?