Dear Mike,

I read the ASTRONET document looking for arguments to conduct long term
monitoring activities common to European Astronomy and Space Weather.
You will find enclosed a summary of the points I found of interest for
Space Weather and my personal comments. In my opinion it would be very
useful :

- to push ASTRONET to be more homogeneous in defining time scales
required for observations of the Sun, then to review the relevant
recommendations,

- to be more specific in dealing with the space environment of the
planets, to examine the interest of a long term monitoring of those
environments, then to think about instrumentations which could be
calibrated in the Earth’s environment,

- to alert ASTRONET about the importance of Space Weather for space
missions dedicated to the Solar System (see J.P. Lebreton).

Sincerely yours,

Francois