Dear colleagues,

I have studied Mike’s matrix, which provides a comprehensive and efficient overview.

Being a member of the Programme Committee of the SPACE Programme, I have a rather clear (and unpleasant) picture of the programme resources allocation. The vast majority of the resources will be spent for GMES. Actually a large part of this vast majority will be provided through direct negotiations to ESA (i.e. with no open call for proposals), fulfilling the promises/obligations of the EC regarding GMES implementation. Needless to say, this is quite negative for Space Science, which is certainly mentioned prominently in the Work Programme, but funding is unfortunately much inferior than its “image” in the documentation.

I have personally advocated space sciences, not only in the SPACE Programme Committee, but also in the High-level Space Policy Group, the joint ESA/EC committee working on the joint European Space Policy, which has largely driven the SPACE theme of FP7 (and which mainly supports Earth Observation applications). My success was partial, in the sense that space science and space weather eventually appeared in texts, without however becoming core issues. I also know that several colleagues have experienced from their contacts with the GMES steering entities and persons, space weather is not considered as a major issue of GMES.

Therefore, space weather does not appear under Activities 9.1 (where the bulk of funding is directed), but under Activities 9.2 (as you can see in page 42 of the provisional work programme, which I am attaching for those who have not retrieved it yet), where all of space science is covered.

Of course it is very positive that science and in particular space weather have been included in this theme of FP7! Unfortunately we cannot draw support from the big pot, which is GMES!

The Work Programme will be formally approved in the next meeting of the Programme Committee, which is planned for January 18. Theoretically the possibility for (minor, but meaningful) modifications still exists. I would be happy to bring any meaningful suggestion to the table in Brussels. I would also like to comment that the Programme Committee does not participate in the evaluation process, but has the formal authority to discuss and approve the (evaluated) projects for eventual funding. This is especially critical for proposals that fall in the reserve list.

Finally, I would like to note that our Institute would be eager to participate in any collaborative effort; the Institute operates an advanced real-time ionospheric station (PI Anna Belehaki) and is currently setting up a magnetometer array.

With best wishes for the New Year!

Yannis Daglis

Dr. Ioannis A. Daglis
Director
Institute for Space Applications & Remote Sensing
National Observatory of Athens
+30-210-8109185, +30-210-8109182