Voices from the Margins:

An international conference on Education for Sustainable Development

hosted at the University of Plymouth and Eden Project, April 11-14th.

You are invited to participate and present at a conference that will challenge mainstream conceptions of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and bring together voices that have been marginalized or that are on the margins of the sustainability movement. The conference will be a gathering place for a diverse group of academics, artists, government and nongovernmental workers, activists and students. The six core strands of the conference are:

  • Indigenous Education
  • Spirituality
  • Peace and Social Justice
  • Bioregionalism
  • Ecofeminism
  • Corporate Social Responsibility

We have attracted an exciting group of keynote speakers and workshop leaders already but are keenly interested in other interactive workshops, case studies from the Southwest and beyond, displays and performances as well as academic papers.

Ideas and abstracts for presentations are welcome until February 12th.

Confirmed guest speakers include:

Saskia Sassen, Gregory Cajete, Peter Bunyard, Magnus Haavelsund, Laara Fitznor, Ariel Salleh, Bob Willard.

We are keen to attract a wide range of participants (particularly those who feel marginalised!) so we are able to offer a number of scholarships, studentships and reduced fees to suitable applicants – please don’t hesitate to ask! In particular we are offering a limited number of full scholarships to UoP staff on a first come first serve basis that will close February 25th.

You can attend between 1-4 days, with the Friday being held at the Eden Project (free coach provided from Plymouth) and the final day run as an Education Earthwise Open Space networking conference.  A special open event on Wednesday evening at the Plymouth Guildhall will include speakers, performances and music.

Please go to http://csf.plymouth.ac.uk for more information, to register and to submit presentation abstracts. General and registration inquiries should be sent to [log in to unmask] . Any questions about scholarships and studentships are best sent via email to James Gray-Donald

A special issue of the International Journal of Innovation in Sustainable Development will be published in summer 2007 with the best papers from the conference.

Dr. James Gray-Donald
Post-doctoral research fellow
Centre for Sustainable Futures
University of Plymouth