Hello,

my system manager is about to change our version of linux from Mandrake (I
can't remember or find the version number) to open SUSE 10.2. He is not an
old-style starlink manager with sympathy for things astronomical but very
much a pure linux system manager who maintains desktops for many groups
apart from us. Thus he does not want much hassle with software installation.
My question re STARLINK is, should I be looking at the last official release
from 2004 or the version that can be obtained via CVS? Although I have
installed the latter myself on my laptop (SUSE 10.1), I worry that it is
still nor a stable release or am I wrong? I should say that our current
version dates from before even the 2004. What I want to avoid is telling him
to go somewhere and his encountering installation problems.

Tom