You may have a version of SPM5 that assumes DICOM files have a “.dcm” extension.  See if the spm_config_dicom.m file (around line 12) says:

data.type   = 'files';

data.name   = 'DICOM files';

data.tag    = 'data';

data.filter = '.*';

data.num    = Inf;

data.help   = {'Select the DICOM files to convert.'};

If data.filter is set to ‘.*\.dcm$’ or something similar, then change it to ‘.*’

Best regards,

-John