Hi Carsten,

> I would very much appreciate comments of experienced SPM statisticians

I'm not one of those, but since it appears no-one else has replied (at
least not on-list) I'll say something.

The design matrix columns should include either a mean (constant)
column and an extra effect for one of the groups, or two separate
group-mean columns. I think your ANCOVA model sounds okay in this
respect, but your first sounds like it assumes that one of the groups
is zero mean (apart from the covariates), which I don't think is right.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean when you refer to the error
columns -- the error is what cannot be modelled by the design; it is
not part of the design matrix. Perhaps this is a constant/mean term?

In either case, a contrast with a 1 over your other covariate should
indeed test for significant correlation of that with the images you
select (e.g. GM probability). I would expect the results of the
correlation model and the ANCOVA model to be the same (as long as the
correlation one includes two group means or an overall mean and an
additional group effect).

Best,
Ged.