Hi Phil,

You're right that Christian Gaser's VBM2 toolbox for SPM2
   http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de/vbm/vbm2-for-spm2/)
just does GM-to-GM optimised normalisation. It's relatively easy to
change the code to do WM-to-WM if you want to try that.

If what you really want is unified segmentation and normalisation that
is simultaneously "optimised" for all three tissue classes, then maybe
you want SPM5.

Best,
Ged.