Dear Ben,

the problems with the new design matrix may arise from the fact that
your new regressors are highly correlated.  If you are interested in
testing your question, i.e. whether a specific connection depends on
the level of force used, the following design may be easier to use:
1. a regressor encoding the presence of all trial (all stimuli)
2. a parametric modulation of this regressor that represents the
force level of each trial.  This could either be ordinal [1,2,3,4] or
encode the actual force used [10,20,30,70].  The latter is probably
more elegant.

In either case, these two regressors will be orthogonal and should
not cause you any worries.

Best wishes,
Klaas