-----Original Message-----
From: Lucas Figueiredo [mailto: Sent: 05 January 2007 13:36
To: Subject: Re: How to draw Axial map for traffic analysis?

Dear Chengke Liu,

What axial maps capture the "potential" of the grid, which is related
to the hierarchical structure of the street network. The actual
physical properties (width, number of lanes) and constraints
(directions, traffic flows, traffic lights) are not taken in account.
However, we expect that most cases present a clear correspondence, for
instance, long lines tend to have more lanes and larger width than
short lines.

Therefore I would recommend representing the urban grid in the most
simplified way, reducing all lanes to a single axial line unless when
there is a clear physical barrier spliting the lanes, such as a canal
or a wall.

I had similar problems when applying this kind of representation for
vehicular movements. You may find some help at:

Figueiredo, L., Amorim, L., 2004, "Continuity lines: aggregating axial
lines to predict vehicular movement patterns"
http://mindwalk.com.br/papers/

Regards,
Lucas Figueiredo

--