Dear Chengke,

I am afraid that the answer is that the necessary representation as a map is
a part of the research question. The way to think about this is: "What is
the form of representation of the morphology of the environment needed to
best account for observed driver behaviours (eg. flows, speeds etc.)".

In the London analysis we found that the best correlations with traffic flow
came from the pedestrian axial model on which certain key traffic management
measures were NOT represented (for example, Oxford St, the most integrated
line in London, is blocked to car traffic for much of its length). When we
used an axial map that represented these blockages (along with others) we
found a reduced correlation with observed flows. [note. We didn't observe
the Oxford St area itself]. This led to the conclusion that what the
observed correlation amounted to was either cognitive (driver behaviour and
route finding was being informed by their mental map of the city, and that
was a more general thing - perhaps pedestrian - in which Oxford St existed
as a potential route) or based on land use and development densities which
were largely historically determined by flow patterns before the car and
modern traffic management restriction, or a combination of both.

In the case of Hong Kong, where the road system is complicated by level
changes, underpasses and bridges etc. (and so must be cognitively complex)
at least on the island - Kowloon is simpler - and where land uses and
development densities have changed radically over the very recent past this
is even more the case, and I would not care to bet on whether a model with
or without traffic management represented would correlate best. The answer
might be to model it both ways and set yourself the research question above.

By the way there are a number of people working in HK using syntax who you
should get in touch with and who might well have better answers: Afroza
Parvin at HKU and Bin Jiang at HKPU.

All the best,

Alan Penn
Professor of Architectural and Urban Computing
The Bartlett School of Graduate Studies
University College London
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT