I think, SD might be a sort of top-down modeling approach, with no
direct representation of agent interaction, true. However, it does not
imply that it is intended only for static social structures. An example:
markets (which are also social structures, where "nodes" might be firms
and "links" their transactions, scaled-based distance or so on...)
change if some "global" indicators as the number of organizations (aka
market "density") and market concentration change. A market with high
density and low concentration has a very different structure respect to
a market with both high density and concentration. Consequently, value
changes in those population-level variables indicate changes in the
structure.

Another point is the fact that SD and AB may produce different results
not only because the lack of representation of agent interaction. We
assume that interaction is a significant driver of social structure, but
again, Organizational Ecologists have built an impressive stock of
empirical studies through the simple assumption of selection and
replacement.  Everybody knows that even an AB model may produce
different results depending on how the agent interaction is conceived
and modeled. So, the difference in SD vs. AB results for a specific
social system always indicates that there is a lack of model
interaction, or that sometimes the interaction contributes very little
to the system behavior so that a misspecified interaction just distorts
the real results?

I am not defending SD. It is just that I do not think that AB is the
"master tool" to always study social systems and emergence, same as
linear programming is not the master tool to solve any optimization problem.

All the best,

Cesar