Yes and no, I think might be the answer. (As a point of information, SD
is not agent based modeling, it is continuous flow modeling.)

I do not know of an SD model in which individuals in a population can be
observed scratching their heads just prior to shouting "Ah-Ha!!". On the
other hand, if I have data that suggests the rate at which an idea
spreads through a population, I can model the diffusion of the idea, and
the circumstances under which it will reach a tipping point, or whether
it will sputter and die.

Related, I may not be able to model precisely how I get the flu, but I
can model an epidemic, and the factors that influence its penetration
into a population.

Also noteworthy is the acknowledgment that SD, like any model, is at
best an approximation of reality, that is, the amalgamation of mental
models, each of which is its own approximation of reality.

All of the scenarios you inquire about could be seen as manifestations
of diffusion, so in that regard, the answer might be yes.

Scott, can you pose a more specific scenario, and perhaps a more
specific response might be possible?

Bill Braun

--
There's nothing more practical than a good theory.
	-Lewin