Another turn in Jon's taste for Francophilia might direct some long overdue
attention to Kees Meerhoff's "Logic and Eloquence: A Ramusian Revolution?,"
Argumentation 5 (1991), 357-74. The question mark in Meerhoff's title is all
to the point, as he maps those "methodical" tendencies already (as Jon notes)
so strong in the culture before Ramus--Agricola to Melanchthon to Sturm. Or to
make the point more briefly, Howell's old book on logic and rhetoric badly
needs rewriting.

As for Sidney's tendency to play both sides against the middle, that would
have been a tough game to entertain with Ramus, who allowed no middle ground
in the war against Aristotle. (George W. style, it's a case of "with us or
against us"). Ramus's very exclusivity might well have seemed too partisan
(and therefore provincial) to the cosmopolitan Sidney, for whom the crucial
critical game was less playing the sides against the middle (or so it seems to
me), than playing the middle to assume and subsume both sides.

Best wishes, Rob Stillman

>===== Original Message From Sidney-Spenser Discussion List
>Anne’s reference to W. J. Ong’s book (“Ramus, Method, and the Decay of
Dialogue”) takes me back to my last year in college, ‘60-61, when I was
reading widely in search of organizing ideas for a thesis on the sermons of
Lancelot Andrewes.  Ong’s book turned out to be a long detour on the way to
what actually got written that year, but the food for thought in it was worth
the detour.  (And maybe Andrewes, who preceded Spenser at both Merchant
Taylors and Pembroke Hall, was a necessary detour on my error-strewn way to
Spenser studies.)

>Incidentally, Ong’s work on Ramus and what he called the “pedagogical
juggernaut” strikes me now as possibly the earliest Francophile and
theory-driven break with the conventions of positivist scholarship.  Like
Anne, I haven’t looked into it for decades, but I’ll bet there’s value in that
first book even now.

>Surely Philip Sidney was aware of Ramus, and of the challenge he posed to the
Aristotelian (and Ciceronian) tradition(s) in the teaching of logic and
rhetoric.  Gabriel Harvey took a side in that quarrel, and Abraham Fraunce did
so somewhat later: I think Fraunce’s “Arcadian Rhetorike” deserves more
attention than it has received from Sidneians – and Spenserians, for that
matter.

>I tend to doubt that Sidney was devoted, in a partisan way, to anything he
found in the books of Ramus or his imitators.  Was there any debate in which
Sidney didn’t play both sides against the middle?  The analytical and
dichotomizing turn of his mind might, however, owe a lot to Ramus’ example of
a tendency that was already strong in the culture before he came along.