Here are the quotations for this week (Jan 14th to 20th):

1. 'He told me' he said suddenly, ' that my home address was Jerusalem. You heard that ?'

'But it was the tone - the tone,' Olyett cried.

…' "Is that a dressing-gown or an ulster you're supposed to be wearing ?" You heard that ?…"And I suppose you hadn't time to brush your hair either ?" You heard that?…Now you hear !' His voice filled the coffee-room, then dropped to a whisper as dreadful as a surgeon's before an operation...

2. Mrs Bellamy opened the window and spoke. It appears that she had only charged for damage to the bicycle, not for the entire machine which Mr Lingnam was ruthlessly gleaning, spoke by spoke, from the highway, and cramming into the slack of the hood.

At last he answered, and I have never seen a man foam at the mouth before. 'If you don't stop, I shall come into your house - in this car - and drive upstairs and - kill you !'...

3. ...The stuff was getting in its work. Bluey, white, and blue again rolled over the navvy's face in waves, till all settled to one rich clay-bank yellow, and - that fell which fell.
I thought of the blowing up of Hell Gate; of the geysers in Yellowstone Park; of Jonah and his whale; but the lively original, as I watched it foreshortened from above, exceeded all these things…His right hand was upon the doctor's collar, so that the two shook to one paroxysm, pendulums vibrating together, while I, apart, shook with them...

The sources of last week's extracts (Jan 7th to 13th) are as follows:

1.  (‘What is caste to a cut-throat .. we must make thee a yellow Saddhu all over...)  This is from KimI.

2.  (…He was perpetually ‘going Fantee’ among natives, which, of course, no man with any sense believes in.)  This is from "Miss Youghal’s Sais" in Plain Tales from the Hills

3.  (...Ho ! Hazar Mir Khan,’ he yelled to his servant, ‘drive out the camels, but let me first mount my own...)  This is from "The Man who would be King" in Wee Willie Winkie and other stories’.

Good wishes to all, John R