-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Russell
Sent: 10 January 2007 16:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Forum or notice board?

At 15:30 10/01/2007, Peter Green wrote:
>Yes PSCI-COM is that sort of place, however longer more detailed
>debates are perhaps better handled separately. PSCI-COM would then
>become more like a notice board. I support Owen's idea.

Should psci-COM be a forum for two-way COMmunication or principally a
broadcasting notice board?

My feeling is that a greater emphasis on formal announcements inhibits
the trivial small-talk essential for comfortable, friendly
communication.

In this context, even my own previous message now seems sniffy and
unfriendly. Sorry, Alice Bell. Remember last time I apologised to you,
at a BIG Event several years ago, after clumsily frightening you in your
front-row seat, while using tennis balls as clubs and missiles in my
'best demo' competition entry, entitled 'Targeting your audience: a
quick history of ballistics'...?

I'm no academic but experience has shown me that science communicators
do need to communicate with each other, and that true communication
involves receiving as well as transmitting; sensitivity as well as
information.

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell

1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send
an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set psci-com nomail
2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set psci-com mail
3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:
leave psci-com
4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including
list archive, can be found at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html
5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication
and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk