Dear Ted and all,

By 'coincidence' I yesterday had the following musings arising from the Darwinian/Mathusian fallacy that 'in the absence of external intervention (i.e. 'selection'), life would multiply and diversify exponentially without limit'. This fallacy effectively arises from the assumption of sovereignty in which 'life is animated entirely from within', as if independent of the world it inhabits.

1. 'Excess' isn't eliminated via restriction of 'resource supply'. Excess is prevented by restriction of resource (energy) availability.

2. 'Competition' cannot 'increase' when there is a restriction of resource supply, because as an active process, competition depends on resource supply.

3. Energy cannot be abstracted from space. The spatial distribution of energy sources is key to natural dynamics.

4. No form can be animated entirely from within itself.

5. Nothing extrinsic must be done to stop diversification and multiplication, because constraint is intrinsic.

6. The animating source of all is everywhere, not somewhere discrete and internal. Restraint arises via containment within, not imposed from outside dynamic boundaries.

7. By dislocating insides from outsides, and placing an animating centre within and a opposing force outside organisms and organizations, objective rationality, based on the divisive logic of the excluded middle, produces false dichotomies that not only engender deep paradox but also lie at the heart of profound social, psychological and environmental hurt.

8. Amongst the most profound of these false dichotomies is that between 'free will' and 'determinism', which gives rise to unrealistic notions of 'responsibility'  and 'leadership'.

9. It's not having 'free will' that gets us into trouble. It's thinking that we have free will that places our lives in deep conflict with our natural dynamic neighbourhood.

Warmest

Alan