I find it difficult to know how to start each posting. In the physical
world there are the micro-movements, the quiet exploratory ‘um’, that is used
to test the space and introduce – such subtly isn’t available here. As I can’t
find a salutation that doesn’t feel inappropriately over-familiar, impersonal,
or personal I leave you to imagine whatever you find communicates my intention
to contribute to the flow of exploration Jean and Jack are provoking and
connect with the thread of the list’s conversation.

Jean wrote:

How we are with one
another is what we do, our embodied actions. And how we are makes us who we
are. Our identities are grounded in our actions. We literally create our selves
and our identities. As you, Moira, greet each person I believe you are
explaining publicly how you are, with that person and with yourself in the
world.

In this context I find
the Zulu Sawubona thought provoking. Jack wrote:

Tsepo Majake introduced me to the idea of Sawubona in a
paper for his masters programme with Jean in the township of Khyaletisha. A literal translation means, 'I see me in
you'.  As you look at the clips I am wondering if you recognise the
expression of embodied values, skills and understandings you are also working
to bring more fully into the world?

I wonder if that is
something I see in the flow of connections in the greetings of students and
Moira; each is connecting with their ‘me’ in the other, in the context of a
quality educational environment.

Jack asks:

http://www.jackwhitehead.com/jack/jwyoutubeimages3.htm

As you look at the clips I am wondering if you recognise
the expression of embodied values, skills and understandings you are also
working to bring more fully into the world?

And Jean asks:

How do we make judgements about how we are?

When I look at Jack’s
collage and narratives I feel an invitation to see and create these flowing
connections extend across time and space. As I create and recreate those
connections I am thinking ' do I see me in you?’, ‘what ‘me’ am I seeking?’ and
I wonder how often I connect to the ‘me I don’t want to be’ in others:
impositional, aggressive, demanding. How am I making judgements about me and the
way I want to be in the world?

When Jack writes:

In asking, researching and answering good quality questions
I think we can contribute to the creation of a world of educational quality.

I am wondering if exploring the implications of asking questions
about our educational influences in our own learning, in the learning of others
and in the social formations in which we live and work, is a characteristic of
world leading standards of judgment for educational practitioner research?

I see in the collage
and narratives Jack recognising people seeking to connect to the other
invitationally, non impositionally, sensitively, to communicate enquiringly of
themselves and the other, to communicate something that is important to them. (I
appreciate this is how I am seeing the world and I do not pretend that I can
talk for Jack.) In writing this I realise these are qualities I wish to see
lived more fully in the world and in the world of education children and young
people are exposed to and I am asking myself how I might contribute more to the
realisation of such a world. So for me the question is an important one to
continually ask, ‘am I asking good quality questions and in researching answers
do I contribute to the quality of an educational world I wish to see?’

For me a gift is in the
creation with another in mind, the offering and the manner in which it is
valued. Jack writes:

I hope you receive this visual narrative in the spirit of a
gift in which I'm developing my own talent for communicating the living
standards of judgment that can help to move the world to a better place to be.

I feel an open
offering, rather than the delivering, of a gift in creation; in working with it
over time I hope I can contribute to it’s worth. Feels like a really good way
to start a day, a week and a year.