Here in Edinburgh there seems to be a strong distinction between beggars and
buskers. The former often squat near cashpoints, and look the part -- which
has something to do with the social engagement of eye-contact. The buskers,
more often than not, are dressed in full highland rig and are playing
bagpipes. Maybe it's because I don't get out much, but I seldom see anyone
singing with a guitar, nor conservatory kids playing for beer money.

As for bass clarinets, I heard Alan Hacker, a virtuoso in the classical
tradition, early on, so I've long been both fond of the sound, and familiar
with the instrument's capabilities. Hacker played custom-written Maxwell
Davies and Birtwistle material. Among his instruments was a bassett
clarinet, a hybrid of an ordinary Bb instrument with a bassethorn extension
adding a deeper lower range. Mmmm....

And then there's the double-bass clarinet. Of all the gorgeous sounds, oh...
(sounds like we're talking about chocolate cakes ;)