> Quoting Stephen Vincent <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> Roger, I was, of course, being ironic - if not absolutely cutting - about
>> the Southern Agragarian's kind disposition towards 'their' African-American
>> help.
>> These SA's to my memory were much of what you say.
>>
>> I like some of the ironic, historic juxtapositions -  Hart Crane camping out
>> in Allen Tate's front yard (his mentor) and explanation for the tight
>> formalism of much of his work (much of it always wanting to bust out at its
>> seams which accounts for its power).
>
> - ahem, I know young Lowell camped on Tate's lawn, and that Crane corresponded
> with Yvor Winters, but always having found Crane's poems indigestible have
> stayed
> ignorant about a Tate-Crane connection...

Where formalism works (for me), I ride with it.  Crane, Roethke.
Essentially borderline sensibilities, that require the formal 'container' to
falling off into the dark. Both of those of, depending on the poem, can be a
delight to read aloud, and I have done so in classes or among friends.

Plath also required the container for what I always took as hysteria. I just
do not read her with relish, never have.

Etc.

Stephen V
http://stephenvincent.net/blog/