The sound "d" is defined in most places as being voiced.  I don't think of
it as voiced.  I think of it as a quick plosive followed by voicing the next
sound in a word.  But at the end of a word it seems to me unvoiced.  It's
like a "t" except made with the tongue at the top gums rather than behind
the teeth and with no aspiration as a "t" has.

Is it more right than wrong to think of "d" as unvoiced?

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Jane Setter <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Can you (or someone you know) teach Language Change??
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:15:19 +0000
>
>Dear List members
>
>I run an INSET course for A Level English Language Teachers at the
>University of Reading, UK and am looking for someone who will be able to
>tutor (English) Language Change this summer, to replace the tutor who has
>so kindly contributed in the past. The person should preferably be based in
>South / South East England (as I am limited with the amount of travel
>expenses I can afford to pay!), have teaching experience, be able to adapt
>or put together an interesting session for A Level teachers, be used to
>teaching adults, and should, if possible, have an idea of what is covered
>in one or more A Level syllabuses.
>
>The course will run from 9th - 12th July. The work involves one or two
>3-hour sessions during that time introducing A Level teachers to the area
>of (English) Language Change, providing them with a list of resources, some
>ideas for activities, and possible topics their students could do for
>project work. I have some materials from last year and am hoping that I
>will have permission to use / adapt them.
>
>Please see last year's website at www.rdg.ac.uk/inset.htm for more
>information on the course.
>
>If you are interested, or if you know anyone who might be suitable, please
>contact me at [log in to unmask] . I'd like to find someone soon so
>that I can advertise the sessions on the course (information goes out on
>29th January).
>
>Many thanks
>
>Jane Setter
>

>--
>
>Dr Jane Setter
>Director, English Pronunciation Research Unit
>Department of Applied Linguistics
>University of Reading
>Whiteknights, PO Box 218
>Reading, RG6 6AA
>
>Tel: +44 (0)118 378 6089
>Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3365
>http://www.rdg.ac.uk/app_ling/setter.htm

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live