Dear List,

As someone who is also trying to take design research into practice, I would
like to know if anyone knows of published research studies using
quantitative methods to test visual design and/or interface design. Related
work in industrial design would also be helpful in lieu of such work in
visual design. If anybody knows of such studies in consumer health
informatics, that would be even better.

I am making this request, because the center I direct is presently pursuing
Federal US grants to support the further development of interactive, mobile,
and multimedia-based forms of patient and patient-guardian communication in
pediatric research medicine at St Jude Children's Research Hospital.

We are encountering the age-old problem of the humanities vs the hard
sciences, and qualitative research viewed as junk by quantitative thinkers
who, not incidentally, hold the purse strings and the right of access to our
human subjects--our strong ties with the St Jude doctors notwithstanding.

We have decided, therefore, to augment our qualitative user-centered design
methods with quant studies developed by a cognitive psychologist I've
brought on board. These quant studies will look at the basic science
governing the principles, techniques, and theories we're using in the
practice-based application. Hopefully, then, with this "proof of principle"
work, our very positive user responses will be taken more seriously by the
medical and Federal agency "establishments."

At the end of the day, we just want to help parents and kids understand what
the heck is going on with their cancer and why the doctors are recommending
these experimental treatments, so that the parents and the kids can make an
informed decision to consent or dissent--and then live without regret after
making that tough decision.

Any resources you can provide will be most appreciated and subsequently
conflated and shared with the whole list.

Michael

--
Michael Schmidt, Director
Center for Multimedia Arts