Juris,

Thank you for your message. I feel that in the US, the mandate is to hire
people who can make "things." This is a byproduct of the art based
commercial art system developed here. With territorial issues and power
struggles, most academic units will never hire a professor who can not teach
the practical aspects of design. This is most unfortunate.

I would propose that it is easier, and less intrusive, to send design
student to study the principles of other disciplines with someone who is
better equipped to handle those concepts; someone who is an expert in that
discipline, not in design. Those people, such as yourself, should have some
knowledge of the design process and historical precedent, but should be an
expert in a field other than design. The academic promotion and tenure
system would likely reject a researcher in an MFA setting.

Critical thinking and problem solving skills must come from the bottom up.
As a community, we must all be cognizant that until the masses realize the
importance of these skills, nothing will change. The evolution must happen
slowly... The powers that be will never loose face by admitting their
practices are less than utopian.

Jason

--
Jason W. Howell, AIGA
Assistant Professor, Communication Design

Design Barracks 112A
C: 618 303-1825
O: 618 453-7598
F: 618 453-7710