Mr. Swanson and Mr. Giard:

How does one make it to the critical thinking side of design instruction
without bleeding to death? In the art-centric realm of graphic design
education in the United States, the glass ceiling in academia reflects the
art world's obsession with form rather than content.

Even greater than this barrier is the poor preparation most students have
before they arrive in our programs. Most cannot think independently because
of the constant placation by our schools and media.

It is my humble opinion that the average student will never reach the level
of critical thinking that makes the practice of design worthwhile if we do
not have a methodical and comprehensive effort to incorporate the
instruction designers need into the educational system here in the US.

It seems rather obvious to me that future academics, designers and clients
would all benefit from truly comprehending design sooner in their life.

Is the resistance to change so great that the design aristocracies will
continue to protect the status quo no matter the cost? How much longer will
it take for other design disciplines to fully usurp the role of the
traditional graphic designer?

Alas, I find myself troubled over the future of the profession I find so
phenomenal.

Jason

--
Jason W. Howell, AIGA
Assistant Professor, Communication Design

Design Barracks 112A
C: 618 303-1825
O: 618 453-7598
F: 618 453-7710
http://mypage.siu.edu/jwhowell/
http://www.artanddesign.siu.edu

> From: "Swanson, Gunnar" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 07:29:58 -0500
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Conversation: An important research challenge
> Subject: Re: An important research challenge
>
> Jacques,
>
>> When asked why he replied that designers,
>> unlike scientists, are not trained to be skeptical
>
> The problem is not just the grand level but on a relatively mundane scale.
<snip>