> Ken, Nicola, and others
>
> It is notable that schools have migrated toward names that capture their sense
of changing mission and understanding of what is possible in the future; for
example, The School of Fine Arts at the University of Pennsylvania has become
the School of Design; The Museum School of Industrial Arts (1876-1988) has
become the University of the Arts in which industrial design struggles for
identity as a discipline in the College of Art and Design.

>As others have noted, names such as industrial design cue perceptual categories
and ways of interpreting them. They carry many entailments. Professions also
work to identity and promote what they do even to the point of segregating
themselves into self protecting niche cultures with a non inclusive world view
in which one must conform to the cultural norms or become licensed by the state
in order to belong. Where risks are high and competence must be assured, as in
architecture and engineering, this makes some sense but when the state also
controls what gets built through codes and peer review, such licensing is no
longer really needed. I believe that everyone should be known simply as
designers and have to prove the worthiness of their designs against standards of
performance rather than codes of practice and bureaucracies that restrict
innovation. How an open discipline of "design" could come about remains to be
seen.