Hi there

Last week I commenced a course at the local University –Mental Health
Assessment of Clients. I am doing this as a stand alone course for personal
development but my fellow students are mostly mental health qualified nurses
clocking up modules for Masters Degrees.

I must confess it is some time since I have taken part in academic study at
such level although I have actively maintained currency in OH through study
days and short courses.

Whilst I don’t expect the list to do my assignment I am tasked with the job
for next week, of reviewing Models generally and Tools used for assessment
(re mental health) used in our field of work. Also I am to furnish the
“evidence” as to the appropriateness of the Tools.

I am at a loss. I had hoped to deliver some information on Hansaari but no
longer have my course work from the early 90s. The internet hasn’t been
helpful either. Does the Hansaari Model of care predate the internet? Does
anyone have a source I might explore? My recall of the Model is minimal
these days.

With regard to Assessment Tools- I have followed the system of questioning
the employee re concentration, motivation, sleep pattern, appetite, CHO/
drug/ smoking use, self harm intentions and asked them to rate their mood
but I am at a loss to be able to give information that this method of
assessment is based on evidence and be able to quote a source.

Can anyone on the list help me out?

Sandy