Hi Sue
This must have been a very difficult time for you, but think how awful you would have felt if that driver had killed someone, especially if it had been your child, partner or close friend and you knew about his problem? We must all think how we would feel if a drunk driver killed someone we loved, or a mentally sick/drunk nurse made a serious mistake and killed or maimed them - and then you discover that the OH nurse knew all about it and did nothing under the guise of confidentiality. We have a duty to protect others too.

Greta
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sue Morley
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] DISCLOSURE

Hi Tracy
I was faced with a similar dilemma only it involved a company mini bus driver. This individual acknowledged they had an alcohol abuse problem and had been in rehab for 6 months prior to starting work (failed to mention on PEHQ but that's another story!). He started drinking again and was sent to me because he was 'behaving oddly'. I got him redeployed to a safer area, but he wanted to go back to driving, the company wanted him to go back to driving as he had been employed as a driver, and he refused to allow me to discuss his condition with the employer. I subsequently found out he had a long history of alcohol and drug abuse and had been 'sectioned' on a number of occasions. I wanted his consent to discuss with the employer so we could support him whilst he sought help again but he declined and insisted I did not disclose his history to the employer.

After much soul searching, consultations with UKCC (as it was then) and the RCN I informed the individual formally that I would under Health & Safety have to breach his confidentiality in the 'public interest'. It was very unnerving, felt totally alien and I felt so guilty after so many years of protecting confidentiality, but I was left with no option. This all took weeks to come about and I felt increasingly uncomfortable and negligent because I knew this man was driving company employees around and he may have been under the influence of alcohol. I had to do something.

The company agreed to redeployment to a safer area and support but he left.

I really appreciate your dilemma.
Sue