From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of RDN
Sent: dinsdag 16 januari 2007 19:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Looking for help on mining terminology

Hi group,

I received recently an old English text on mining. Being a bad student, I
don't understand all the terminology.
Is there someone on the list who can clarify this sentence?

...The ore was easily mined from the steep pitching veins by “underhand” and
“back stoping” methods. The wall rock of the lodes was usually sound. Single
stick timbering generally sufficed....

What does 'the wall rock of the lodes was usually sound' means?
What are 'underhand' and 'back stoping' methods?

Very kind regards from a area where no mining is...

Richard

Richard De Nul
Churchilllaan 330
2900 Schoten, Belgium