From: Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]>

>> The Chair of Peter at Rome.  There was also a feast, on 22. February,
of the Chair of Peter at Antioch.  Today's feast of the Chair of St.
Peter the Apostle falls on the latter day.  Here's a copy of a
photograph, taken in 1867, of the Vatican's chair (which latter has a
legendary history associating it, _inter alia_, with the baptistery of > Santa
Prisca): http://www.newadvent.org/images/03551eax.jpg

> One small impediment with associating this throne with St Prisca is that,
according to Peter Lasko, Ars Sacra 800-1200, 2nd edn (New Haven, 1994), p.
61, it has only been known as the 'Cathedra Petri' since the 12th century, and
"It was almost certainly among the gifts brought to Rome on the occasion of
Charles the Bald's Imperial coronation in 875."  Lasko associates its
manufacture with craftsmen from Metz.

well, yeahbut, the question of whether or not the Eyetalians probably had some
chairs before Bald Chuck brought his own down is still somewhat hotly
disputed.

some say that there could well have been a "Stool of St. Peter" entry in the
earliest (now lost) martyrologies...

>It was apparently carefully examined and restored between 1968 and 1974; if
anybody is interested, Lasko has further references.

Kurt Weitzmann, "The Heracles Plaques of St. Peter's Cathedra,"
The Art Bulletin, Vol. 55, No. 1. (Mar., 1973), pp. 1-37.

available to subscribers on JSTOR:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0004-3079%28197303%2955%3A1%3C1%3ATHPOSP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-U

Kurt Weitzmann, "An Addendum to 'The Heracles Plaques of St. Peter's
Cathedra,'" The Art Bulletin > Vol. 56, No. 2, Medieval Issue (Jun., 1974),
pp. 248-251

Stable URL:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0004-3079%28197406%2956%3A2%3C248%3AAAT%22HP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

to: [log in to unmask]