Dear colleagues,

please pass on to suitable students,

many thanks.

If you are interested in pursuing research at a PhD level and you have a good idea for a research project, then you may want to consider the possibility of pursuing a PhD at the Institute of Communication Studies, at the University of Leeds. A doctorate degree is not for the faint-hearted though; it requires excellent critical skills, analytical disposition, industriousness and commitment. If you believe you have these skills and the enthusiasm to explore a topic in the field of communication, media and culture, then have a look at http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/pg-study/pg_phd.cfm to get an idea of what is required from a PhD programme of study with us at ICS.

We are interested in topics that match our own research interests and you can have a look at the research we do at http://ics.leeds.ac.uk.

Indicatively we have research strength and interest in the following areas of media and communication:

International and Political Communication, Media Industries

These areas include any aspect of European, global and transnational media and communication;

political economy of media, journalism;

war, media and propaganda;

questions of diaspora, identity and culture in global and transnational contexts;

any aspect of media and cultural policy: such as information communication technologies, public service broadcasting, intellectual property, global policy regimes and civil society, social cohesion, gender and media policies in European, national or global contexts;

citizenship and communication in the global context;

public sphere and the new forms of communication;

Media representations;

Gender and media;

Media and development;

Audiences;

Political campaigns and the media;

representation of politics and portrayal of political activity in the media;

e-governance and e-democracy in Britain;

media and the new democracies;

media and democratic theory;

questions around media industries: the creative process; policy and content; the global culture industry; social change;

questions of mediated governance in Britain, Europe or globally

the role of institutions in media policy, governance and media, technologies and technological development.

We accept applications throughout the year but if you are interested in applying for a scholarship (see university website at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/ ) then you need to keep in mind the following deadlines:

ORSAS scholarships for overseas students. Deadline 31st January 2007  http://www.leeds.ac.uk/rds/schol/orsas-info.htm

ICS scholarships: This year ICS offers 4 Home/EU equivalent fee-waiver scholarships to candidates interested in exploring any topic in the fields of

communication and citizenship,

international media and identity,

international or national media policy and

media industries :

deadline 23rd March 2007. For more information visit: http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/research/scholar.cfm

University of Leeds full scholarships for UK and EU students . Deadine1st June 2007. For more information visit: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/rds/schol/urs-info.htm and http://www.leeds.ac.uk/rds/schol/urs-info.htm

About ICS:

The Institute of Communications Studies is an intellectually vibrant place with a strong emphasis on research that addresses the implications, conditions and practices of communication in a globalised world. Its research Centres, among which the Centre for International Communication Research; Louis Le Prince interdisciplinary Centre for  Cinema Photography and Television and the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence are vibrant hubs of interdisciplinary research that attract established and younger researchers, as well as the media’s attention ( see The Guardian Friday 5 January: http://media.guardian.co.uk/presspublishing/comment/0,,1983092,00.html).

Moreover, the Institute hosts two international journals; the International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics (http://ics.leeds.ac.uk) and the journal of Early Popular Visual Culture (http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17460654.asp ). Recently it also launched the electronic international journal of Zizek Studies (http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/zizek/). ICS also hosts major resource websites on media and war and on media policy that are used by scholars internationally.

Our academic staff  are experts in their field who work together with NGOs, governments, the EU and international organizations as well as the media and culture industries and have a long list of important publications. ICS staff published 39 books, 5 of which only in 2006 and with more forthcoming in 2007. You can have a look at our books here: http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/research/books.cfm The detailed publication of research papers can be found on designated staff webpages.

Alongside significant appointments for the strengthening of our existing and developing research, the institute has also recently welcome Prof. Stephen Coleman in Political Communication and Prof. Juliet Lodge in European Studies, who joined Professors Phil Taylor and David Morrison, and will be enriched by two more senior staff Prof. David Hesmondhalgh in Media Industries and Prof. Gary Rawnsley in Asian Media and Communications.

Our PhD community is a team of excellent junior scholars from more than 10 countries who give seminars, attend national and international conferences and are involved in teaching, research and journal editorial assistantships. Our PhD team is also currently preparing an international postgraduate conference: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~icsfsp/ .

We expect PhD candidates to live and work at Leeds and be fully involved in the intellectual life of the Institute.

Enquiries regarding applications [log in to unmask]

Academic content related enquiries [log in to unmask]

Dr Katharine Sarikakis

Postgraduate Research Tutor

Institute of Communications Studies

University of Leeds