***With apologies for cross-posting***

The International Library and Information
Group(ILIG), warmly invites you to an ILIG Informal on 21st Feb 2007 at CILIP.

"A Librarian's Travels"

THEME:

Each year, the English-Speaking Union (ESU) and
CILIP invite applications for the Travelling
Librarian Award, from qualified librarians
working in UK libraries or information centres
who are members of CILIP (the deadline for 2007
applications is on 23rd April.)

The Award is an opportunity to do a two-week
study tour in the United States. It is intended
to encourage US/UK contacts in the library world
and the establishment of permanent links.

The Travelling Librarian Award - around £3000 -
covers flights and some accommodation in the US.
The successful candidate is free to put together
their own programme of visits (although help and
advice is available) and, where possible, is
encouraged to take up home hospitality with ESU Members.

For further info see:
<http://www.cilip.org.uk/professionalguidance/internationalwork/partnerships/travellinglibrarian.htm>http://www.cilip.org.uk/professionalguidance/internationalwork/partnerships/travellinglibrarian.htm

http://www.esu.org/education/for_librarians/librarian_award_application.asp

<http://www.cilip.org.uk/specialinterestgroups/bysubject/international/activities/informals>http://www.cilip.org.uk/specialinterestgroups/bysubject/international/activities/informals

PROGRAMME:

- Kim Sherwin, from the Joint Services Command
and Staff College near Swindon, and winner of the
2006 Travelling Librarian Award, will be
interviewed by Rachel Monk, ILIG Vice chair, on her experience.

Kim visited defence libraries in Washington,
Virginia, Pennsylvania, Alabama and the United
Nations in New York, and says: "The visit to the
United States was a brilliant experience and I am
very fortunate to have been given the
opportunity. I have learnt a lot about the
Department of Defense and the working of US
libraries and have come away with many things to
think about. I met some fantastically hospitable
people on my journey and have made some invaluable contacts."

A highlight was her "tour of the Pentagon through
some of its 17 miles of corridors, past Donald
Rumsfeld's suite, a shopping mall and by-passed
McDonald's to end in a sushi bar."

- Jill Martin, CILIP's Director of Knowledge and
Information,  will answer further questions about
the Award. Jill says: "Past winners of this award
have often found that it has enhanced their
professional development and helped their career
progression as well as being a rewarding personal
experience. It is noticeable that several have
gone on to become leading members of the profession".

The interviews will be followed by questions from
the audience; there will also be drinks and
nibbles available, and time for networking with
other like-minded professionals.

WHERE?

Ewart Room, CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London WC1E 7AE

Access codes: E, G, W, X

WHEN?

Wednesday, 21st February 2007, 6-7.45pm

HOW MUCH?

This is a FREE event, open to all library and
information workers in all sectors and at all
levels. However, we would be grateful if you
could confirm your attendance, to give us an indication of numbers.

For further details and to book a place, please
email the form below, to Rachel Monk: [log in to unmask] by 20th February.

BOOKING FORM

Name:

Position:

Address:

Postcode:

Tel. no.:

Email:

Are you a member of ILIG, the International Library and Information Group?

CILIP membership no.:

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to
friends, colleagues and staff who might be interested.