Thank you to everyone who responded to my query regarding copyright and journal clubs.

Please find a summary of your suggestions on how to avoid contravening copyright law:

1. Use a journal that is available online, in which case each member of the club can download it individually.  The link to the article may be distributed to the group, but not the article itself.

Sources may include the NHS National Core Content (this is covered by the purchasing licence), an institutional subscription, or a open access website, e.g.

Biomed Central: Via MyAthens http://www.athensams.net/myathens)

Directory of Open Access Journals: http://www.doaj.org/

Highwire Press: http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/allsites.dtl

Pubmed Central: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/, UK Pubmed Central: http://www.ukpmc.ac.uk/ (details at http://www.bl.uk/news/2007/pressrelease20070105.html).

2. Use a projector in the meeting so that all members of the group can view the article, but only one copy is made (but would copying the article on to acetates be legal?).

3. Contact the publisher in advance and request permission to make multiple copies for educational purposes (may involve a charge).

4. Order multiple copyright fee paid copies from the British Library.

5. Obtain a single copy of the article and circulate it around the group prior to the meeting.

If anyone has any further ideas please let me know!

Many thanks,

Victoria

John A. Aitken Library

Wirral Postgraduate Medical Centre