I fully endorse these very salient points made by Andrew.

Yo Hodson

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cook, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: Separating and mounting maps from 19th century reports

Three points about British Parliamentary Papers:
1. The more people butcher sets of BPP, 'given that there are several
other copies ... in more easily accessible locations', the fewer sets
are left to consult.  Repeatedly destroying just one more because there
were plenty left was what killed off the dodo in Mauritius, and
deforested Easter Island.  Will the person butchering the last set,
please turn out the light in the archives of parliamentary democracy.
2. The sets 'in more easily accessible locations' are subjected to
heavier use, and suffer the most damage and casual depredation,
particularly damage to and loss of folding maps.  Not even the most
important libraries, and the libraries of last resort, can keep pace
with this heavy use, nor make good the gaps which result.
3. It is not necessarily the case that the maps in all copies of a PP
are from the same printing or issue.  They can also differ in content.
This is one of the bibliographical questions about BPP which await
fuller investigation, after Susan Gole alerted us to the phenomenon a
few years ago in her work on maps of the Mediterranean in BPP.

Andrew S Cook MA PhD FRHistS FRSA
Map Archivist, India Office Records
The British Library
96 Euston Road