Dear Colleagues,

Less than a month ago, we were emailed re a potential security risk in
the shape of a suspected book thief (lis-link configuration won't let me
attach photographs, but I can supply them to individual email addresses
if recipients need them).

It is believed that he has stolen, or has attempted to steal, from an
antiquarian bookdealer and one learned society library, both
London-based.  However,  the 'Aladdin's Cave' of items currently held by
the police suggests many more victims.

We now suspect that this same individual visited us late yesterday
afternoon.  His behaviour led us to believe that he was assessing our
security levels; I hope that our behaviour led him to believe that we
are too tough a target, however.

Having contacted the police, we now know that he has been released on
bail pending his trial, and that he is already reknowned for carrying on
his 'activities' whilst out on bail.  Hence the warning.  The police
contact we were given is:

Case No. 6418549/06; c/o DC Huggins, West End Central Police Station CID
section ( Saville Row) : contact tel. 020 7321 8873

To help you identify him, we found that he:

- marched straight in without engaging with staff
- headed for doors marked clearly 'No entry', even though he was being
watched by staff
- looked decidedly non-plussed at reaching security doors with punch-pad
only access (classic, puzzled, index finger on lips stance)
- had tried at least one (firmly locked) security door before staff
member reached him
- kept his head down (no eye contact) when approached by staff member
(muttered about 'Looking for a toilet' - he had passed a clearly signed
door before entering Reading Room)
- kept his head down when passing through doorways (presumably to try
and avoid any security cameras)
- physically, has quite a long face; and quite noticeably sunken eyes
with dark shadows underneath - this latter doesn't show on the photos we
were given, but very noticeable in life)
- he wore a dark blouson jacket very reminiscent of the one on the
attached photos; we believe a dark khaki-type colour
- he carried a black, woven fabric attache case with zip (reminiscent of
a slim laptop bag)
- we don't remember him wearing the glasses shown in the photos we
received .

Hope this helps all to be on their guard at the moment.

Best wishes,

Jan Turner
Deputy Librarian
Information Services and Resources Division
RGS-IBG
1 Kensington Gore
London  SW7 2AR
Tel: +44 (0)20 7591 3044
Collections general email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>