(Please do forward to any interested colleagues)

UK Serials Group Annual Conference 2007 and Exhibition - Invitation to LIS Students

The UK Serials Group is universally recognised as the leading forum for debate between publishers, information professionals and intermediaries in the world of electronic and printed serials and the process of scholarly communication.  With nearly 550 institutional members it is a sizeable organisation in every respect.

The Annual Conference and Exhibition is the centrepiece of the Group's activities, taking place this year at University of Warwick from 16-18 April.  In my capacity as Education Officer for the Group, I am writing to inform you that we are offering up to six free places for students at the 2007 Conference.  Those selected to attend will benefit from:

Ø       Learning about some of the newest developments in electronic publishing by attending plenary sessions, workshops, briefing sessions and product reviews

Ø       Seeing at first hand some of the latest commercial products and services available to information professionals

Ø       Mixing with many of the leading publishers, librarians and intermediaries in the area of scholarly publishing

Ø       Participating in social events such as the UKSG quiz, discos and the Conference Dinner.

The sponsorship award covers the cost of attendance at the conference, including all meals, entertainment and accommodation.  Please note that all students, whether studying full time or part time as undergraduates or postgraduates, are eligible to apply.

To be considered, students should write a letter of application including a summary of why they would like to attend.  This letter should be countersigned by a tutor and sent to me at the address below by Friday 16 February 2007.  In return for the sponsorship, students are required to submit a critical appraisal of the conference.  The best reports will be considered for publication in the Group's online journal, Serials.  Travel expenses to and from the conference will also be repaid on presentation of the report.

Many students have attended over the last few years and, without exception, have found the experience most valuable.  This year's programme is particularly exciting and copies are enclosed with this letter.  I hope you will be able to encourage your students to take advantage of this opportunity.  Please could I ask you to distribute or display the enclosed conference information in your department.

Yours sincerely

Graham Stone
UKSG Education Officer

The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses, no responsibility is accepted by Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to [log in to unmask]