Dear Colleagues,
Please find below information regarding a large, interdisciplinary
conference that I am co-organising. The conference will be held 5-8 July
2007 at the University of York. I hope it will stimulate interest among
members of the Italian studies community.

REAL THINGS: MATTER, MATERIALITY, REPRESENTATION
1880 TO THE PRESENT
5-8 July 2007

Proposals for twenty-minute presentations or panels of three to four
presenters are invited for a conference entitled "Real Things: Matter,
Materiality, Representation, 1880 to the present," to be held at the
University of York, England and co-sponsored by the University of Sussex.

Keynote speakers:
Bill Brown
Mary Ann Doane
Hal Foster
Patrick Keiller
Hermione Lee
Edmund White

This conference proposes a re-engagement with representational realism and
its objects and effects across a wide range of aesthetic, critical and
theoretical practices. We seek to engage cutting-edge work that raises new
questions about the status of the object of representation; representations
as archives of material history; the shifts in representational practices
associated with modernism and postmodernism; the changing status of real
bodies and lives (as opposed to their representations) as objects of
analysis in the humanities; and the politics of these transitions. Topics
of interest include but are not limited to the following:

--Realism as modernism/modernism as realism
--Rethinking photographic indexicality; cinema and/as archive
--Paintings, documents, realism: literary and visual representation
--The turn to science
--Postmodernism, realism and the real
--Representation and the psychoanalytic Real
--Evidence, document and representation
--New philosophies of nature
--Documentary film practices
--Biopolitics, biopower, bodies
--Forensics, indices and popular culture
--Performance, theatricality and materiality
--Success and/or failure of representation
--Presentation vs. representation
--New technologies, representation and embodiment
--Anti-sublimation and resistance to metaphor

Please send 250-word paper abstracts and 1000-word panel abstracts to
[log in to unmask] by 1 February 2007.  For more information,
please contact [log in to unmask]

Organisers:
Victoria Coulson (University of York), Jane Elliott (University of York),
John David Rhodes (University of Sussex)

Dr. John David Rhodes
Lecturer in Literature and Visual Culture
Department of English
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton
BN1 9QN

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html