From: I Made Andi Arsana <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:21 am
Subject: [INT-BOUNDARIES] Cameroon: Nigeria Boundary Demarcation Continues Mid-February
To: [log in to unmask]

> Dear Coleagues,
>
> This news might be interesting to some of you.
> Happy reading!
>
> Cheers
> Andi
>
> Cameroon: Nigeria Boundary Demarcation Continues Mid-February
>
> The Post (Buea)
>
> January 30, 2007
> Posted to the web January 30, 2007
>
> Leocadia Bongben
>

> Phase 2 of the demarcation of the maritime boundary between Cameroon
> and Nigeria will begin in mid-February.
>
> This was the top-most item on the agenda of the 17th session of the
> Nigeria-Cameroon Mixed Commission meeting in Yaounde on January 24.The
> demarcation of additional 275 km of border will stretch along rivers
> and watersheds. Already, 470 km of the 1700 km borderline have already
> been demarcated.
>

> According to a press release issued by the UN Office for West Africa
> in Dakar on January 23, the working group made up of surveyors and
> cartographers of the two countries and the UN, after visits
> along the
> maritime boundary is to finalise the geo-referencing of the British
> Admiralty chart that formed the basis of the judgment of October 10,
> 2002 into a known datum.
>
> The report of the Mixed Commission after regular visits of the UN
> Observer Mission from 9-14 December, the release states,
> presents a
> satisfactory situation concerning the rights of the affected
> population being respected after the withdrawal and transfer of
> authority in August 2006.
>
> Meanwhile, the European Union, EU, has donated an additional 3.95
> million euros (FCFA 2,567,500,000) to support the implementation of
> the Nigeria-Cameroon boundary demarcation project.
>
> It will go toward the placement of boundary pillars and the provision
> of final maps and records substantiating the implementation of the
> demarcation.
>
> The International Court of Justice, ICJ, at The Hague had handed down
> a binding ruling in 2002 to settle a territorial dispute in which
> Nigerian troops and police often clashed with their Cameroonian
> counterparts, especially around the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsula.
>
> The ruling was in favour of Cameroon and in August 2006, Nigeria
> formally handed over the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.
>

> --
> ========================
> I Made Andi Arsana
> E : [log in to unmask]
> http://madeandi.staff.ugm.ac.id/
> Yahoo, GTalk, Skype : madeandi
> ========================

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan
Lecturer in International Commercial Law,
Kent Law School,
Eliot College,
University of Kent,
Canterbury,
Kent CT2 7NS, UK.

Phone:
Switchboard 0044 (0)1227 764000 (ext 4817)
Direct Line 0044 (0)1227 824817
Fax: 0044 (0) 1227 827831

Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/people/index.htm